Septic arthritis is an excruciatingly painful infection caused by a virus, bacteria, or fungus. These germs travel from one region of the body to another, and a penetrating injury might pave the way for them to enter the joints directly.
The immediate need for treating this medical condition lies within its destructive nature. Septic arthritis is known to damage the cartilage and bone of the affected joint in a very short period. The severity of the damage is extremely high, and hence seeing a good knee specialist in india immediately becomes the only option.
Causes of Septic Arthritis
Septic arthritis is most commonly caused by a bacterial infection. When a person suffers a severe injury, usually in the knee – the bacteria enter the body through the wound. Apart from the penetrative injury of the joints, the other major causes of septic arthritis amongst different people are:
- Amongst children and adults, a few bacteria that are known to cause the medical condition of septic arthritis are staphylococcus and streptococcus.
- Bacteria are not the only pathogens responsible for causing septic arthritis. Many viruses like Hepatitis A, B, and C, Parvovirus B19, HIV (AIDS virus), HTLV-1, Adenovirus, Coxsackie viruses, Mumps, Alphaviruses, and Flaviviruses can cause this medical condition too.
- When a wound comes in contact with various kinds of fungi like Histoplasma, coccidioides, and Blastomyces, the chances of medical conditions like septic arthritis developing go high. However, they do not develop as fast as when caused by a bacterial factor.
- A skin infection or a urinary tract infection can also spread throughout the blood and enter the joint region, causing septic arthritis.
Symptoms of Septic Arthritis
Joint swelling and excruciating joint pain are a few of the many symptoms of septic arthritis. One should consider contacting the best orthopedic in mumbai when any of these symptoms are noticeable:
- Chills and fever
- Fatigue, tiredness, and weakness
- Troubles with mobility of the affected limb
- The slightest movement of the joints causes excruciating pain
- The joint becomes warm to touch
Treating Septic Arthritis
One of the most commonly opted treatment options for septic arthritis is using antibiotics. As per the severity of the condition, any orthopedic might suggest draining the infected fluid from the joint. Patients are usually admitted to the hospital and monitored. In best cases, if the doctors can identify the bacteria responsible for the infection, specific antibiotics can be prescribed for a speedy recovery.
With a medical condition as painful and inconvenient as septic arthritis, it is advised to get it treated as soon as one is diagnosed with it. Contacting the best knee specialist in mumbai is considered a good way to start with effective treatment for the same.
Dr. Niraj L Vora has performed more than 3500 primary and revision knee replacement surgeries and happens to be the most reputed one in his field of specialization. With excellent patient reviews and impressive academic achievements, he is often claimed as the best knee replacement surgeon in mumbai by his patients. One should consider contacting him to get their septic arthritis treated as soon as possible.